Saturday, February 15, 2014

Writer's Block



Depression is hard enough but when you’re a writer it’s almost your very enemy negating writers block. I love writing and have been doing it for as long as I can remember. I do have medicine that I take for my depression and when I’m off of them I’m a totally different person. You wouldn’t think I was creative in anyway. But I like the road I’m on now and I’m happy that writing is in my life. Sometimes writing doesn’t help me and I just want to be lazy. It’s a conscious decision every time I sit down to write. I’d like to have a flow but it’s a struggle.

Taking a friends advice about writing; for ten minutes I sit down and just write. It doesn’t have to be about the particular book I’m working on but for those ten minutes it could be as simple as what I’m thinking. This helps during bad days where the thoughts of negativity plague my mind. Writing has done great to lift me away from the darkness of my moods.

Depression does play a role in my writing and I try to come with my work with a clear mind because being so sad during a comedic scene really doesn’t work well and I have to toss the entire thing. I step back and do my ten minutes of writing to get all the things I’m feeling out and separate my feelings from my characters. I don’t particularly enjoy writing when I’m depressed at first but after those ten minutes I feel like my mind had something to dump all that negative waste out into something pro-active.
To sum up my little tale of depression and being creative, this is always going to be a tough fight on days I want to give up. But, my desire to share my world with everyone out weighs the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment